Samba 4 woes

Hello,

I have a node serving files to a bunch of Windows nodes (various
versions). It is a STANDALONE server, with only a logical user
connecting.

After having bluntly pkgin for update, the previous package has been
removed (I guess because it couldn't determine with which version to
replace it since there are 4 different versions on the CDN repository).

Since the programs were loaded in memory, I didn't notice anything,
until I had to restart.

I have then installed samba 4.18.9.

But I'm now at a lost about the behavior: the user is correctly
identified. He can open and modify binary files, but every text file
fails for contents modification: the user can create or delete, but not
modify the contents of a file. Various programs creating temporary
files and renaming them fail because of that (while an application
using a binary file doesn't have problems modifying its file). It's
only with text files or with temporary lock files.

The only suspicious thing I read in smb.conf(5) was about ACL mapping:
if the file is not rwx (for the user? Or does it need to be so for the
group also?), the rights are not mapped to FULL_CONTROL. So I changed
the permissions to rwx for all user's files, but this doesn't solve
the problem.

One more precision: it is standalone, only file server. The users are
always sent as NODENAME/the_user. This never caused any problem before
and smbstatus(1) tells that the connections are made with the correct
Unix user. But the problem seems to be on the Windows client side, the
applications "deciding" there that they can't write---smbstatus(1)
tells that they put a DENY_WRITE when modifying a file, but this seems
logical for sharing.

I have: mangled names = no (to protect from problem with temporary
names).

Has anyone encountered this? The behavior is different from a
previous version (I don't remember what was the previous version;
not a 3.x series since, trying to "downgrade" to 3.6, it didn't
recognize some smb.conf parameters; would be better to put a comment
about the version in smb.conf for future reference).

I'm stymied...

Thanks in advance for any tip!
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/