Re: wip/jed and wip/xjed committer request

Kevin Bloom <kevin.bloom%posteo.net@localhost> writes:

>> Did you write to $MAINTAINER?
>
> I have not, is that normally how it works for packages not maintained
> by pkgsrc-users?

Yes.   The nominal approach is that each package has a MAINTAINER (an
actual person) and they keep an eye on it.  When making changes to a
package, beyond uncontroversial things like adjustements for pkgsrc-wide
changes, small bugfixes, and micro updates, the norm -- not always
followed -- is to run changes by the MAINTAINER.

THe other side of the coin is that a MAINTAINER should respond (in a
timely manner, most of the time) to questions about proposed changes,
either saying to go ahead or rationale why not.  You will sometimes see
"MAINTAINER did not respond after a week" in commits, and sometimes
something like "Reset MAINTAINER due to no response to email" which
would happen if it's been months.

This is a micro update, but still, I lean to writing to MAINTAINER more
often than not.

>> Why is LICENSE not in Makefile.common?
>
> pkglint wanted me to put it into the individual Makefiles.

Huh.  Well ok then.

>> WARN: jed/../../editors/jed/Makefile.common:4: Please add a line "# used by wip/jed/Makefile" here.
>> WARN: xjed/../../editors/jed/Makefile.common:4: Please add a line "# used by wip/xjed/Makefile" here.
>
> Those will be there until merged into -current because they will no
> longer be in wip. There are comments for
> "# used by editors/xjed/Makefile" and
> "# used by editors/xjed/Makefile", however.

Ah, makes sense..   I guess maybe it would be cool for pkglint to undestand this.