Re: wip/jed and wip/xjed committer request

Kevin Bloom <kevin.bloom%posteo.net@localhost> writes:

Kevin Bloom <kevin.bloom%posteo.net@localhost> writes:

> It's finally time we update editors/jed to the modern age -- of 2009.
> I've updated the recipe for both of these packages in wip and they
> are ready for committing. If someone could commit this for me, it
> would be greatly appreciated.

Did you write to $MAINTAINER?

Why is LICENSE not in Makefile.common?

WARN: jed/../../editors/jed/Makefile.common:4: Please add a line "# used by wip/jed/Makefile" here.
WARN: xjed/../../editors/jed/Makefile.common:4: Please add a line "# used by wip/xjed/Makefile" here.

> On a side note, there is an actively developed "development" version
> of jed that is out there by jedsoft. I have no idea why there hasn't
> been a stable release since 2009 but does anyone think that we should
> also include this in pkgsrc?

It used to be that pkgsrc had a "releases only" norm, but this has
eroded these days people seem to think it's ok to ask people to use the
tip of some VCS and not have releases.  (They are of course wrong....)
Certainly after these are hoisted, adding wip/jed that follows the
development releases is a reasonable thing to do.

Did you look at what Debian and other packging systems do?

Have you filed a bug upstream that there are no releases?   I have found
that sometimes that actually works.  It is more likely to work if almost
no packaging systems are willing to track their non-release.