Re: Bootstrapping on KISS GNU/Linux

On 11/8/23 14:58, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
On 23-10-2023 13:44, Jason Bacon wrote:
On 10/22/23 10:19, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
At this point I'm not yet sure how to proceed. Would it help if I create a VM image to reproduce this? I am not sure exactly if I should be looking at the
pkg_create sources or this PLIST part is handled elsewhere?

That might be helpful, given how gnarly the KISS installation procedure
is.  I mainly use VirtualBox, so a .ova would be most convenient for me.
  I have also used qemu on occasion.

Apologies it took me some time, but I managed to create a VM. It's a very minimal system: https://www.s-berg.nl/files/kiss32-small.vdi.xz

I created it using QEMU, but the image type is meant for VirtualBox, so I hope it works without issues in either of them.

It should be possible to log in by typing just 'root' at the prompt after boot up. Then use wget to fetch auto-pkgsrc-setup. The first error the pkgsrc installation will give is related to nawk not being found. This can be resolved by running:
kiss b gawk
kiss i gawk

After installing gawk it will manage to get further and reach the PLIST error.

I hope this will help to improve the script. Please let me know if yBest regards,ou run into problems with the VM! Btw. https is working great now!

Thanks!!
Julius

The VDI works for my under VirtualBox.

Bootstrap using auto-pkgsrc-setup makes good progress (selecting 'y' for proceed without Java), but ends with

/usr/pkgsrc/mk/pkgformat/pkg/list-dependencies: line 47: /usr/pkg/bin/nawk: not found

bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/cwrappers

auto-pkgsrc-setup: line 745: can't create /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf: nonexistent directory

ls /usr/pkg shows only a "work" directory.

Somehow it seems that bootstrap is failing to create directories like bin and etc under ${PREFIX} on this distro.