Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/security/openssh

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> writes:

> * On 2023-11-06 at 13:15 GMT, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>>My point is that you disabled things for which there was no evidence of
>>them being broken, almost certainly removing features on platforms you
>>did not test on.  That is just not ok.
>
> The exact quote from the commit message was:
>
>   "pkgsrc change: enable fido2 support by default, to match NetBSD base."
>
> It seems reasonable to me to assume that the intention of the change
> was for this to be primarily targeting NetBSD, hence my change to
> limit it to NetBSD.  If you think that's worse than making the change
> in the first place without testing, and then leaving it broken despite
> bulk build reports showing it was broken, then so be it.

I can see that this was motivated by NetBSD base having fido2 support.
But now, fido2 is normal, and it ought to work everywhere by default.

Apparently nobody has made libfido2 upstream work on SunOS.  But it very
likely works on most systems, and surely it works on Linux.  What really
needs fixing is for libfido2 to get SunOS support.

> As I've said, please just change it if you're happy to potentially
> break other systems.

I am not breaking other systems.  I restored to how things were before
you disabled fido2 for everything but NetBSD.  I view libfido2 not
building on SunOS as a SunOS point issue, not a "libfido2 in general
does not work" issue.

If somebody builds manually on FreeBSD (to pick a system where this
probably works but we aren't sure), or does a bulk build, and openssh
fails, it's easy to figure out and disable for FreeBSD.  If we leave
options off unless tested on every single platform, then we'll have
needless inconsistency and features will be silently missing.

> I'm still busy cleaning up after your clearly untested change that
> broke every single PHP module.

If I do something that causes breakage, please email me about it.
Yes, I see that I trimmed things I shouldn't have and you put them
back.  Sorry about that.