Re: removing net/samba?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 08:11:42AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
I suspect we'll end up with "no users in pkgsrc", and 8 years of no
upstream maintenance certainly seems over the bar for no expectation of
use.  But the Windows world is funny so we'll see if anybody speaks up.
(I certainly don't use it.)

Not sure this is worth much, besides anectodal value:

I used to have it running on a tiny machine (single core armv5, 512 MB
RAM) acting as an (internal only) file server (for niche purposes,
access speed did not matter). The daemon processes in samba4 are a lot
more heavyweight (memory + cpu wise) and this tiny box had issues
running samba 4 (which I use on all "real" file servers when they
are not NFS-only).

But that tiny hardware (unfortunately) has died and the replacement
is a full grown 8GB aarch64 system and of course has no problem running
samba 4.

I never got Samba 4 to work as a domain member with mapping domain users to local users, i.e. If logged onto Windows as DOMAIN\myuser, you can access \\netbsdbox\myuser and the user id is as defined in /etc/passwd not determined through winbindd in a different range from local users. The Samba stance was that on Windows DOMAIN\myuser is not the same as LOCALPC\myuser (which is correct), so this was expected behaviour. The functionality was removed somewhere along the 4.x release branch.

--
Stephen