Re: removing net/samba?

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Hi!
>
> net/samba contains version 3.x of samba, which was discontinued in 2015.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Release_Planning
>
> We have net/samba4 for a long time now (2015). samba regularly issues
> new CVEs, so samba 3.x has lots of known vulnerabilities by now.
>
> Only the following packages still depend on net/samba instead of samba4:
>
> net/gnome-vfs-smb
> sysutils/amanda-client
> sysutils/backuppc
> x11/kde-runtime4
> x11/kde-workspace4
>
> I suggest we switch them to samba4 and remove samba.

(As always I don't like recursive removals, but paying attention to
overdue package maintenance because of cruft is certainly 100% fine.)

Are there any good reasons that these are using samba3?  I am guessing
that it is just that nobody ever paid attention.

I'll try to build amanda-client with the option turned on and samba4 and
flip it to 4 if it succeeds.   First I'll see if it builds with
samba(3); if not I can flip it anyway.

I suspect we'll end up with "no users in pkgsrc", and 8 years of no
upstream maintenance certainly seems over the bar for no expectation of
use.  But the Windows world is funny so we'll see if anybody speaks up.
(I certainly don't use it.)