Re: pango fails to build on netbsd-9?

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

> I have to confess that feel rather strongly that there should be an
> explicit decision of:
> - pkgsrc must not rely on execute permissions being present on files,
> and there should be a recommended mechanism to enforce this where
> needed (which could be "Always run a chmod after copying from files/
> to worksrc if it needs to be executable")
> or
> - pkgsrc can always rely on execute permissions being present on
> files, and any exception is a user configuration error

If you want to force policy, I think it should be that the x bits as
checked in can be relied on, but that packages having accomodations is
ok.  But that's just me with individual hat on; I don't mean to be
speaking as PMC in any of this.

Does base have a documented rule?

> My preference is for the former, but it should be one or the other,
> with a note in the guide (I'm happy to make any update).
>
> A "find . -type f -perm -100 | wc -l" reports 439 entries for my
> normal pkgsrc tree. I have no idea how many of them would cause a
> package to fail if they did not have execute permissions (maybe a
> dozen, less?) Just adding a quick chmod or similar to this one package
> and nothing else feels like the wrong choice.

That's interesting it is so high.  I wonder how many are rc.d scripts
that get their permissions set on install.