Re: Building cargo-c on netbsd-10/i386 fails

"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%consolidated.net@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2023, John D. Baker wrote:
>
>> I've -X'd out as many packages that are likely to lead to "cargo-c"
>> as possible (a2ps, libimagequant, py-pdf, py-Pillow) until everything
>> else buildable is updated.
>
> Well, I went as far as I could before major leaf packages (evince, gimp)
> or major subsystems (qt5-*) began to trigger the dependecy chain leading
> to "devel/cargo-c".
>
> I could side-step the issue by using the C version of "libimagequant",
> but since this is supposed to be a "rust-having" platform (and I need it
> for other things anyway), I'd go ahead and build the rust version of
> of "libimagequant".
>
> I expect to try again on i386-current when my next build finishes and
> see if the problem remains.

Surely the path to success is by actually resolving the cargo-c issue.

I suspect what you are running into is

  rust doesn't really care about i386, as it is not x86-64 or aarch64

  nobody in pkgsrc is really paying that much attention to rust issues
  on i386

and I don't have anything constructive to offer other that I hope
someone(tm) will fix it.