Re: lang/sbcl build failure, ld issue

Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> As part of my current pkg_rr lang/sbcl came to be rebuilt - albeit I
> already had the latest pkgsrc version 2.3.6; it only depends on
> math/mpfr, which wasn't selected for an upgrade (as there isn't any),
> so it is not clear for me why it had to be rebuilt.

I added math/mpfr as a dependency as it is used by the sb-mpfr SBCL
contrib module. It really needs math/gmp as well, was going to add
this when I update the package to 2.3.8.

SBCL is linking against the installed versions of these packages, not
against the bl3 tree.

> Anyway, the build failed with:
> gcc -g -Wl,--export-dynamic -export-dynamic -no-pie -o sbcl alloc.o
> arena.o backtrace.o breakpoint.o coalesce.o coreparse.o dynbind.o
> funcall.o gc-common.o globals.o hopscotch.o interr.o interrupt.o
> largefile.o
> main.o math.o monitor.o murmur_hash.o os-common.o parse.o print.o
> regnames.o runtime.o safepoint.o save.o sc-offset.o search.o
> stringspace.o thread.o time.o validate.o var-io.o vars.o wrap.o
> run-program.o sprof.
> o x86-64-arch.o bsd-os.o x86-64-bsd-os.o fullcgc.o gencgc.o
> traceroot.o immobile-space.o elf.o x86-64-assem.o
> ../../tlsf-bsd/tlsf/tlsf.o -lutil  -lm
> ld: alloc.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not
> be used when making a PIE object; recompile with -fPIE
> ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: bad value
> make: *** [GNUmakefile:102: sbcl] Error 1
> make: Leaving directory '/usr/pkgsrc/lang/sbcl/work/sbcl-2.3.6/src/runtime'

The same kind of error appears in some of the bulk build runs:

<https://us-central.manta.mnx.io/pkgsrc/public/reports/NetBSD/trunk/x86_64/20230821.1117/sbcl-2.3.6/build.log>

and

<http://www.ki.nu/pkgsrc/reports/current/NetBSD-9.0/20230827.2307/sbcl-2.3.6/build.log>

> My SBCL_BOOT_SYSTEM is sbcl, obviously (clisp is many times slower),
> but just in case I repeated the build using clisp, to the same result.

Allowing SBCL_BOOT_SYSTEM to point to something outside pkgsrc is
deliberate, I have tested using this for all the recent updates that
I did.

> This is on -current amd64 10.99.7 from 20th of August. The existing
> sbcl2.3.6 continues to work as expected.

Looking at my /etc/mk.conf, I have PKGSRC_MKPIE=no set. I think I added
this when the default changed as I didn't want to rebuild everything.

Maybe we need to set MKPIE_SUPPORTED=no in lang/sbcl/Makefile.