Re: cmake version problem

tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:

> But there is a situation that is quite common: this is a production
> node; remote; in use; and you have indirect access to it only during
> working hours. So you may disrupt things only during a limited amount of
> time (a time for a reboot when updating a kernel). But for user stuff,
> one has to do it incrementally. That's why one ends up putting COMPAT
> in the kernel and tries to _add_ new things needed, at least at first,
> without removing what is presently working.

That really does not work in general.  Some new thing is going to want a
newer version of a dependency, and that is going to require a make
replace.

If you have a production system that has to work, then IMHO the only
reasonable approach is to build a (consistent, sound) set of binary
packages, generate a pkg_summary file, sync them over, and update the
production system with pkgin.  That way you have worked through any
build hiccups before you start the update.   These can be produced with
pbulk or pkg_rolling-replace on a build machine.

I do this with a 2008 mac notebook as the build machine, using the
latest branch, with pkg_rr.  This has been a successful strategy for
several years.