Re: cmake version problem

Le Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 08:02:01AM -0400, Greg Troxel a écrit :
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:
>
> > And BTW, x11-links has been a problem too from time to time, because
> > when upgrading a node, it has to be rebuilt but an admin is not aware of
> > it.
>
> When you upgrade the base system across major versions, you basically
> have to choose between:
>
>   upgrade all packages whether you care about them or not
>
>   don't build any new packages
>
>   go off the rails of sound behavior (because packages will have varying
>   system libs linked)
>
> One helpful strategy is to remove all packages that are not installed
> intentionally and not a dependency of an intentional package.  I do this
> with pkgin with summaries based on my own builds, patrol "pkgin sk" and
> remove with uk, and then "pkgin ar".

But there is a situation that is quite common: this is a production
node; remote; in use; and you have indirect access to it only during
working hours. So you may disrupt things only during a limited amount of
time (a time for a reboot when updating a kernel). But for user stuff,
one has to do it incrementally. That's why one ends up putting COMPAT
in the kernel and tries to _add_ new things needed, at least at first,
without removing what is presently working.

Fortunately---at least in my case---a production node depends on very
few things that I didn't provide myself and it doesn't have firefox and
so on. But, there are still things that I have not written (mainly
needed to convert one of the myriad of data formats to one I have
written a filter for) and since it seems programmers nowadays feel
ashamed if their software doesn't depend on hundreds of things, the
probability for one of these dependencies to step on another software'
toes is far from negligible---this is why on Windows, apparently, only
the MS system dlls are shared, and applications have their own copies
of dlls in the directory of the software, so that if X updates its
stuff, Y doesn't start to fail. Thus defeating one of the main purpose
of shared libraries: to play it safe, they are not shared...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/