Re: postgresql encoding/locale issues

mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) writes:

> LANG is the default, that gets overridden by LC_* for specific
> categories.
>
> LC_ALL overrides everything, so that's mostly used to turn off locale
> support for specific commands (e.g. LC_ALL=C awk ...).
>

> Postgresql uses LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE.
>
> Unfortunately we do not support LC_COLLATE (other than "C"), so any
> setting to a different value (i.e. via LANG or LC_ALL or LC_COLLATE)
> makes Postgres fail.
>
> Setting LANG and overriding LC_COLLATE with "C" works.

So is it a bug in NetBSD that asking for LC_COLLATE when LANG is set
leads to getting the LANG value rather than C?  locale(1) doesn't do
this, but it seems pgsql must be getting back a bad value?

Thanks for the hint; I've adjusted dotfiles and left a link to your
message for my future self who forgets this.