Re: python 3.7 removal proposal (before upstream EOL!!)

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> Am Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 08:11:13AM -0400 schrieb Greg Troxel:
>>   Does anyone actually use python37 from pkgsrc (who is running
>>   pkgsrc-current, or who is running 2022Q3 and who regularly updates to
>>   new quarterly releases)*?  Please speak up and explain why.  (Or send
>>   me text to post anonymously if you don't want to admit it public.)
>
> Yes, I do. It is one of the upgrade paths for complex Python 2.7
> programs...

You mean that you port things from 2.7 to 3.7, and then from 3.7 to
3.11?

To do that, do you need

  python3.7 in wip

  python3.7 in pkgsrc, but no python-depending packages for 37

  python3.7 in pkgsrc, with 37 packages not built unless added?

  also some python-depending packages

or really: if we removed it anyway, how much extra work would that
impose on you?  (to be compared to the work on the part of others to
deal with the breakage we have now)

I guess the other question is would you like to keep after
PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE to keep the bulk results clean?  Right now
the bulk build results are not serving their intended purpose because
the big breakage list is all faux 37 stuff.