Re: Changes for after the freeze

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Oh, and for mysql... MariaDB is changing their release schedule
> slightly, and doing "non-LTS" branches, which all of the
> most recent releases are.  I don't think non-LTS as a default
> makes sense for database software... Anyone care to comment?

First, it strikes me that mariadb is the new mysql, and that's all we
are paying attention to.  That seems fine, but wanted to check that
assumption.

I'm a little unclear on what LTS really means in mariadb context.   At
the risk of restating things everybody thinks everybody understands.

Postgresql releases a new major version about every year, and seems to
keep support for a long time.  Because of maybe/probably needing to
dump/restore, people tend not to jump verisons that often.

I went to mariadb.org and tried to figure this out, but it was a twisty
maze of pages none of which set expectations for the date until when a
branch would be maintained.

I would tend to say that for a branch to be default, there should be a
reasonable expectation of maintenance for 3 years after the first stable
release of that branch.

Another view is to ask what a person running a production system,
intended to be low risk, would want to do about how often they update
the db across branches, but I think they'll be just about ok with 3
years, maybe a little grumbly, and really unhappy about 1.

I don't think we need 5 or 8 years.