Re: Updating misc/calibre 2 major versions, and x11/py-sip

Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:

> It seems that this requires a new version of x11/py-sip, which is also 2
> major versions behind currently.
>
> However its Makefile.common has the ominous comment
>
> # Before updating, please check that any new version works with qgis.
> # Apparently, there are problems with 5 and 6 with qgis 3.16 as of
> # 2021-11.
>
> So what are those problems, and can they be solved? I think updating sip
> is fairly unavoidable. Maybe a separate package can be created, but the
> current one is somewhat intertwined with py-sip-qt4 and py-sip-qt5.
> That seems to make things a lot more complicated.

I wrote that, but I no longer remember exactly, and I am pretty sure it
was just encoding advice from upstream.  My impression is that the
py-sip world has some serious compat issues.

However, qgis 3.22 is out, and just now reasonable to consider updating
to, and it may be that newer sip works with that.

I'll try to have a look at this, and feel free to ping me privately to
ask me to do it faster.

It might be that versionining the package is the only reasonable
approach, even if it means both can't be installed at once.  I think
it's mostly a build tool.

Do you contemplate committing the update from 3 to 4 into pkgsrc?  Or is
your message also a query about if calibre users think that's wise?
I'm generally in favor of recording the intermediate updates in  the
source tree, if they already exist.