Re: antlr 2.x in pkgsrc?

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 09:18:58AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> The DESCR of wip/antlr does not have a second paragraph explaining if it
>> is old but maintained, old and unmaintained, or ?
>
> It is old and unmaintained, but also widely in use in academia, research
> and industry - I won't be able to share a list of projects. It's still
> available as a default package (with name antlr for this version and with
> suffixed names for higher versions) on FreeBSD and many Linux systems. It
> evolved to versions 3 and 4, but due to lack of backward compatibility,
> grammars written for 2 continue to use the old version.

OK - but to make progress to importing, someone(tm) needs to fix the
DESCR to explain this.  That's not really a rule, but I personally
believe that when there is other than  a single version of something,
the DESCRs of all of them should explain how each fits into the
universe.  So in my view it isn't ready.

> Regarding commented code etc will check with the creator. Looks like it's
> just there from initial attempt to port from FreeBSD.

Yes.  But again someone(tm) needs to fix it before we can even consider
importing.   If you want to do that, go ahead: having it in wip is
useful even if it is never in pkgsrc proper.

If nobody works on this, nothing is going to happen.  Given that I don't
want to run it, I'm ok with that outcome :-)