Re: pkgsrc bootstrap fails on Cygwin

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Sunday, July 4th, 2021 at 8:30 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> "hung.nguyengia" hung.nguyengia%protonmail.com@localhost writes:
>
> > I read the document and found pkgsrc has support for Cygwin. So I give it a try.
>
> It is likely that fairly few people use this.
>
> > It's latest Cygwin x86_64 on Windows 7. The bootstrap failed with this error:
> >
> > ./bootstrap: line 277: -lbcrypt: command not found
> >
> > ===> exited with status 127
> >
> > aborted.
> >
> > I fire up setup-x86_64.exe again and install bcrypt. This doesn't have any effect. The bootstrap failed with exactly the same error.
>
> Someone -- perhaps you -- is going to have to dig in to the code, with a
>
> knowledge of make and shell programming. I suggest tha you first learn
>
> sh(1) programming if you have not already (which is out of scope for
>
> netbsd lists), and the read the bootstrap script and run it with -x so
>
> you can see what's going on. A hint is that this sort of error can be
>
> caused by a variable that is unexpectedly undefined. A toy example is
>
> $(CC) $(LIBS) ...
>
> and if CC is empty and LIBS starts with -lbcrypt, you get the above
>
> rather than "error: CC is empty".
>
> I don't use Windows, so I won't be trying to figure out and fix this.

I no longer use Windows, either. I keep a version of Windows 7 on VirtualBox, in case I need something only runs on Windows. Today I'm a bit boring so I fire up the VM and test pkgsrc on Cygwin. Perhaps you should add a note about the support of pkgsrc for Cygwin is currently not well maintained. It's enough.