mutt users: do give neomutt a try [ Was: Painfully slow terminal refresh ]

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 04:30:57PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> Update: neomutt works slightly better - perhaps something to do with
> ncurses vs curses.

After a day of usage I'd say neo is a lot better than its parent.

It has solved the slow refresh problem totally. Generally it has become
snappier in refreshing the index view.

For long, there was this problem of color of an email item in the index
view not changing until you hit Ctrl-L from "new" to "read" when you exit
the mail view. Even that problem is solved in neo.

It is fully compatible with all the mutt settings - at least so for my rc
files. So to try it, mostly you'll have to just invoke neomutt in place of
mutt.

On the flip side only one annoying thing I noticed is, if you hit
backspace when editing a mail header field, you tend to hold the backspace
key to clear the whole line. In that case the back space wraps back to
another field and starts working on it instead of stopping after clearing
current field. Seems a logged issue on github. I'd try and get used to
this behavior as the overall benefits far outweigh this small trouble.

--
Mayuresh