Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 11:23:38AM +0100, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> while I think the change makes sense (if I understand it correctly, it will
> make it easier for me in the future to switch between different PKG
> locations including the corresponding metadata just by renaming the
> respective /usr/pkg directory), I would be very happy to read a short
> statement about the chronological classification again.
>
> Is it correct that:
>
> 1) this change will be active in pkgsrc-2020Q4

It is active in pkgsrc right now, the first branch that will be
affected will be pkgsrc-2020Q4.

> 2) requires a more recent pkg_install than the one from NetBSD 9.1

That is correct. If you are on any currently supported release you
will have to manually update pkg_install first before using pkgsrc.

NetBSD-current (as of shortly before 9.99.77) comes with the new
pkg_install.

Pullups for the active release branches (8 and 9) have been filed.
 Thomas