Re: Another macOS 11 fallout

Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

>    In an ongoing effort to break things that previously worked fine,
> Apple deiced to remove the Subversion client from the latest
> installment of Xcode, so I installed it from pkgsrc.  I only need the
> client, thus I went with subversion-base -- but I noticed a slight
> quirk with this package; it insists on trying to install parts to
> /etc/rc.d (which is futile on macOS).  This would normally not be an
> issue if it just silently failed and moved on, but unfortunately this
> has the side effect of pausing the installation until the user has
> clicked away a dialog box (macOS asks for permission for the Terminal
> to do dangerous things).
>
>   Would it be possible to split it out to a subversion-client package?
> Or add an option to disable the server component in subversion-base?  Or
> not even try to install things to /etc/rc.d on macOS (I assume that the
> idea is that it will should just silently fail, but no one counted on
> Apple breaking that as well).

1) What is your pkgsrc prefix?

2) Do you have PKGSRC_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes turned on?  That is a request to
put the rc.d sripts from $PREFIX/share/examples/rc.d also in /etc/rc.d.
On older macOS, this works, and if you enable the rc.d scheme via
launchd in a way I no longer remember, those scripts are run at boot
time.

3) If you do approve it, and add the launchd magic, does it work?

Overall, it seems like pkgsrc is doing the right thing and apple has
decided that you should have to click approve.  My immediate reaction is
that it's not pkgsrc's place to fight what apple says ought to be...