Re: Pkgsrc on openbsd

edgar%pettijohn-web.com@localhost writes:

> I'm getting the following error:Warning package digest-20190127 was
> built for a platform:Openbsd/amd64 6.8 (pkg) vs. Openbsd/x86_64 6.8
> (this host)1 package addition failedError code 1How to I get around
> this?Thanks,Edgar

You can use -f.

To properly fix, someone needs to understand

  how OpenBSD deals with the two concepts of MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH

  what NetBSD and others use for those values

  how pkgsrc deals with this, including

    regularizing values into a consistent namespace

    making sure that the regularization really is consistent

On NetBSD/amd64:
  uname -m: amd64 (MACHINE)
  uname -p: x86_64 (MACHINE_ARCH)

The first one is the "MACHINE" which is about the system, not just the
CPU.  The second is about the CPU and ABI.   As an example there is a
MACHINE_ARCH powerpc that is used by many MACHINES including amigappc
bebox ebvpcc macppc and so on.

pkgsrc tries to find the MACHINE_ARCH, because that is what determines
package compat.

amd64 has always been messy because there were two names: amd64 and
x86_64.  NetBSD has settled out with amd64  the MACHINE and the world
has settled out with x86_64 the MACHINE_ARCH (e.g. gcc -v shows that
too).

So, the question is what does OpenBSD show for uname -m, -p?

Then, what's in MACHINE_ARCH in +BUILD_INFO in the package?

Finally, what does pkg_install look at from uname and how does it arrive
at a string to compare to MACHINE_ARCH.