Re: Any hints for bootstrapping in Solaris 10?

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

* On 2020-10-31 at 20:11 GMT, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

Your suggestions had me retry as root, and didn't get me anywhere
either. So I'm trying all the different things people suggest. You're
replying to problems I'm having with things other people suggest, things
you didn't have to do. But I can't get your way working either.

I didn't mean to come across like that, the point is that pkgsrc
should just work, and if it doesn't, then we should investigate why,
and fix it.

Applying a scattergun approach where things are bodged until they work
is usually very counter-productive, you end up running into unrelated
problems that are difficult to diagnose, and even if things somehow
end up working it doesn't help the next person who comes along and
tries to do the same things.

I'm much more interested in stopping at the very first sign of
problems, digging into them and identifying exactly what is wrong, and
fixing that, instead of going off into the weeds.  You shouldn't need
to care about shells, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or any other random
settings.  You should be able to just bootstrap and go, and if you
can't, then that's on us, not you, but we need help to identify the
problems correctly.

I'm still happy to spend time diagnosing this with you, but if you
don't want to that's fine.

I just keep getting different suggestions, so I'm trying them all out.
I'd like to follow one path, but some of them have very little logging
and so it's hard to progress (like building packages after bootstrapping
finishes).

In addition, it's been years since I used Solaris and it's as
infuriating as trying to go back to a 10-year-old Linux distro.
Everything is sort of the same, but not really.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost
BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee