Re: When should one send a PR and when not?

On Tue 06 Oct 2020 at 18:06:37 +0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> This is what I do most of the time and usually the package builds
> fine. The problem with this is, at least for me, that there's a whole
> host of customisation in pkgsrc, that sometimes I'm tempted just to
> make my own package from scratch, but that wouldn't be good for the
> [NetBSD-centric] pkgsrc ecosystem. (Incidentally, this is what I did
> with Abiword a few years ago and that ended up replacing the former
> package in pkgsrc "proper")

Well, so it isn't such a bad stragegy after all :-)
Even if the new package doesn't get to that point, while making the
package you inevitably pick up some of the "feel" of how building this
particular piece of software works. The difference between the existing
package and your own package (even if it is very minimalistic) are
likely to be instructive in finding out why the existing package fails
for you.

> Ottavio Caruso
-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on