Re: Building Linux packages on NetBSD

I don't recommend using pkgsrc on Linux without PREFER_PKGSRC, tbh.
That's asking for trouble (see posts on this list from Linux users...)
Make sure everything pkgsrc expects is installed (compilers, flex, etc).
I wouldn't recommend mixing up packages from different distributions,
and keep the set of installed Linux packages to a minimum.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:24:27AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> It wouldn't necessarily be slow - does NetBSD support KVM?  The hosts
> I use to build the Linux packages that I distribute:
>
>   https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-linux/
>
> are built using CentOS 6.x and 7.x VMs running qemu/kvm on SmartOS,
> and they're able to complete full bulk builds in under 24 hours.

NVMM is the KVM equivalent for NetBSD (~ish, different semantics, less
privilege granted to the kernel), `-accel nvmm` as an argument to
qemu after `modload nvmm`. Building from pkgsrc in nvmm is pretty fast,
from experience.