Re: wxGTK 28 vs 30?

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 11:00:58AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>> We default to 28.  What's the current wisdom about whether 2.8 vs 3.0 is
>>> the preferred system default these days?
>>
>> I think the default depends on the package, and I switched the
>> packages I could to 30.
>
> mk/wxGTK.mk has:
>   WXGTK_DEFAULT?= WXGTK28
>
> and packages  can set
>   WXGTK_ACCEPTED
>
> But, if a package works with 28 and 30, and thus doesn't set ACCEPTED or
> sets it to both, it will get built with 28.

It turns out that mk/wxGTK.mk believes that wxGTK28 and wxGTK30 may not
be installed at once, so the algorithm is to use DEFAULT if it is in
accepted, and otherwise to fail.

But, 28 and 30 do install at once.  On my system things that use wxGTK
use 28, but freedv and audacity are hardcoded to use wxGTK30's bl3,
skipping the framework.  This is only not a mess because 28 and 30
actually can be installed at once.

So my question is really:

  Should we just change the default to 30?  How much trouble would that
  cause?

and my new question is:

  Are we willing to assume the wxGTK variants will be parallel
  installable, and if so, should each package just pick the best one,
  and we get rid of this wxGTK.mk, or at least ignore it for a bit?