Re: Issues with bootstraping for OpenServer 5 and pkgsrc-2019Q4

On 26.02.2020 16:43, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
Hello,

I'm able to boostrap from pkgsrc-2015Q1, but I'm hitting this issue and

The subject line says 2019Q4, here you say 2015Q1. Which is it?

I'm not sure how to deal with it.  I have the following set
CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/bash
WRAPPER_SHELL=/usr/bin/bash

Before posting any command outputs, you should generally say which
commands you ran, and in which environment. In this case it's relatively
easy to guess what you did, based on the output. It was probably:

cd /u/build/pkgsrc-blg/archivers/pax
bmake update  # or install, who knows

/u/build/pkgsrc-blg/bootstrap/work/bin/install-sh -c -o root -g sys -m
444 tar.1
/u/build/pkgsrc-blg/bootstrap/work/wrk/archivers/pax/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/man/man1/$(echo
tar | sed 's&^&nb&').1
=> Automatic manual page handling
=> Generating post-install file lists
=> Checking file-check results for pax-20080110nb4
/bin/sh: -u:  not found
/bin/sh: -u:  not found
/bin/sh: -u:  not found
/bin/sh: -u:  not found

To further investigate this problem yourself, you should run the command
again, this time with a bit more debug information:

PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=1 bmake update
or even:
PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=2 bmake update

This will give you a lot of context where the -u comes from. Then you
can search in /u/build/pkgsrc-blg/mk for the surrounding strings and
quickly see which variable is empty.

Joerg already suggested that one of the tool variables is empty,
therefore you could also try:

bmake show-all-tools

(This is also described in the pkgsrc guide, at
https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/help-user.html.)

These debugging tools will also help you when you run into further
problems building packages, which I'm sure you will do since OpenServer
5 is quite old.

Spoiler: running "PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=2 bmake update 2>&1 | less" on a
NetBSD system and searching for "Checking file-check results" reveals
that the command line is indeed "/usr/bin/diff -u". This means you
should compare mk/tools/tools.{NetBSD,SCO_SV}.mk and add the missing
tools to the latter. That file has not been updated since 2014.

Oh, that file even says:
# /bin/diff under OpenServer 5.0.7/3.2 does not support -u option.
#TOOLS_PLATFORM.diff?=		/bin/diff

This means you have to build a diff tool first. Since all other
platforms have "diff -u", this is not checked by the pkgsrc bootstrap.

(Note to myself: It would probably be a good idea to keep the lists of
platform tools in sync and add a fallback for the missing tools that
fails with a friendly error message, instead of just leaving the
variable empty.)