Re: pkgsrc on Linux, how to get started and distinguish packages from base system?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 05:23:34AM +0000, S.P.Zeidler wrote:
> How does one get started with pkgsrc on Linux, especially when starting with a minimal Linux?
>
> NetBSD and other BSDs typically have a well-defined base system, but Linux does not usually.
>
> In Linux, everything's a package, including the kernel and util-linux (not in pkgsrc).
>
> You'd need much more than that just to bootstrap pkgsrc, and later there would be the issue of how to upgrade.
>
> Non-rolling-release Linux distros would reinstall rather than update: not a full answer, since somebody somewhere has to build the packages and configuration files.

Hi,

this is what I use on Ubuntu 18.04:

  - install "build-essential" package, this will pull in a compiler
    (gcc, g++) and some xyz-dev packages.

  - install
    libbz2-1.0 libc6 libncurses5 libgcc1 zlib1g libstdc++6 libbz2-dev
    libc6-dev libncurses5-dev linux-libc-dev zlib1g-dev libstdc++-7-dev
    libpam0g-dev libdevmapper-dev libdb5.3-dev

this should suffice for bootstrapping pkgsrc.

And remember to set CONFIG_SHELL to /bin/bash, as the default dash will
not work.

I also set WRAPPER_SHELL=/bin/bash (yes, I still mostly use old shell
wrappers), but this is probably not needed anymore.

I haven't bootstrapped on Debian in ages, but required packages should
be similar except for version numbers.

Matthias