Re: Pkgsrc vs Linux

On 2019-10-08 10:45, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
I could either try Centos 7 again and use Joyent's or Jason Bacon's
binaries, but Centos 7 is on the verge of being obsolete (not
literally, but...)
CentOS 7 will remain the mainstream for a few more years.  8 has some major upgrades, but (or maybe "therefore") it will take a long time for the commercial app vendors to catch up.  I've been through this transition from 5 to 6 to 7, trust me...

http://netbsd.org/~bacon/auto-pkgsrc-setup defaults to using gcc7 for everything except gcc7 & dependencies and well over 90% of pkgsrc packages build successfully in the default configuration it creates.

I intend to continue building pkgsrc binaries for CentOS 7 until its EOL.  I'll also begin building for CentOS 8 as soon as I have the time and the hardware.

Cheers,

    JB