Re: no emacs/X binary packages considered bad, and worse than emacs with svg

Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> writes:

> Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>>Right now building e.g emacs26 fails on pkgbuild because of librsvg
>>because of rust because of (not enough randomness AND rust is piggy
>>about randomness).  While that should be fixed, it's been almost two
>>months, and as far as I know it isn't.
>
> You could build with:
>
> LIBRSVG_TYPE=c
>
> I'm using emacs26 to send this.

Sure, *I* could do lots of things, and I have managed to build rust on
both i386 and amd64 netbsd-8.  But the question on the table is about
adjusting pkgsrc so that an unmodified bulk build on the pkgbuild
machines works.

And, as others have said, librsvg C versino is unsupported upstream and
not clearly safe.  I don't really want to go down the path of
sort-of-forking it, absent a real fork that is doing security
maintenance with releases.

>>Not having emacsNN binary packages is unfriendly to users (I know an
>>actual user who wanted to install emacs26 and failed to find it,
>>wondering why emacs21 was the newest on NetBSD).  I do not know of
>>significant use of svg within x11-flavored emacs.  Arguably most use is
>>just text and menus, and then some jpg/tiff in mail.  Perhaps there is
>>web browsing involving it.
>
> Mail is often html these days, I guess it could contain some SVG.

Sure it is possible - my question was if you actually had a situation
where not doing SVG caused you problems.  Since you are speculating
(quite reasonably) that it might, rather than pointing out that you get
mail that does have svg, and where not rendering it would be
troublesome, I will assume that you are another datapoint that removing
svg support will not hurt.  (As well as another that knows that it is
possible it will bother someone, somehow.)