Re: new pkg_rr to semi-avoid python version lossage, recording python versions

On Mon 29 Jul 2019 at 11:02:34 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I looked at pkg_chk this morning, and concluded that long-term it's
> probably best to reimplement the "for all installed packages, see if
> they are out of date" logic, as pkg_chk is doing much more than pkg_rr
> needs.

Are you talking about changing pkg_chk here, or pkg_rr? My first
interpretation was the former, but now I realise the latter is also
possible.

Just for avoidance of doubt: I use pkg_chk directly (remove all outdated
packages and their dependents, then install my wanted set of packages
from binary packages). I have tried pkg_rr and pkgin a few times in the
past, but somehow managed to run into corner cases that didn't seem to
be handled just right. So I would prefer that a reduction of
functionality of pkg_chk is avoided.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond