Re: firefox52 crashes w/o coredump on -current (8.99.49)

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 12:23:46PM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:
> (Sending to both pkgsrc-users and current-users as it appears to involve
> both package and/or base system elements.)
>
> To test other stuff, I booted -current (8.99.49 as of 20190701).
> Firefox52 and all other packages are up-to-date as of pkgsrc-2019Q2
> including recent pullups.  When I went to lauch firefox52 and then
> reloaded a tab showing "weather.gov" (US) with the forecast for my area,
> the browser window abruptly disappeared.
>
> There was no core dump.  The only clue was in my ".xsession-errors" file:
>
> [...]
> i965: Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error
>
> Curiously, a complex site like youtube.com seems to work fine.  Also,
> "water.weather.gov/ahps2..." page showing a river level gauge near me
> works fine.
>
> This is an i82G41TY-based system with integrated intel video.  Due to
> SNA lossage on this hardware with the latest Xorg driver, I'm using
> "xf86-video-intel-2014".
>
> I don't recall the last time I booted -current on this machine, but it
> didn't have a problem then.  I have so-far not had this problem on
> netbsd-8.  The packages on the netbsd-8 install are not yet synced to
> pkgsrc-2019Q2.
>
> Anyone else (with intel graphics) seeing anything like this?
>
> --
> |/"\ John D. Baker, KN5UKS               NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
> |\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD
> | X  No HTML/proprietary data in email.   BSD just sits there and works!
> |/ \ GPGkeyID:  D703 4A7E 479F 63F8 D3F4  BD99 9572 8F23 E4AD 1645

Please use LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 as an environment variable until
someone bisects why the new xf86-video-intel doesn't work on your hw.

with new xf86-video-intel it works fine for me.

- netbsd-8 + firefox probably doesn't use graphical acceleration
- i915 might have broken compatibility in more than the one place we
  fixed, so cannot run an older xf86-video-intel as well.
- other bugs