Re: Meaning of various pkgsrc variables

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:02:52AM +0200, Benny Siegert wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 8:16 AM Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > Is there any document that gives meanings of various pkgsrc variables?
>
> make help topic=BUILD_DEFS

Thanks. I got the mechanism to get the documentation.

But I am still not clear:

E.g. there are many make files that say
BUILD_DEFS+=            VARBASE

I understand VARBASE. But why is that needed to be a BUILD_DEFS variable?
What is affected if I don't add it to BUILD_DEFS? And what other such
variables shall one worry about adding to BUILD_DEFS?

# BUILD_DEFS
#       The list of variables that influence the build. These variables
#       are user-settable, and their values will be recorded in the
#       binary package.

Mayuresh