Re: Meaning of various pkgsrc variables

Am 28.04.2019 um 08:16 schrieb Mayuresh:
> Is there any document that gives meanings of various pkgsrc variables?
>
> At the moment, I was looking for BUILD_DEFS, but looks like I am going to
> need explanation about various variables.
>
> I have already checked http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/pkgsrc.html

Which exact parts of that large document did you check? I mentioned the
"bmake help" target deep in some subsections, but that's not prominent
enough. Is there some place where you would have found it?

I'm thinking of a section called "Getting help" so that Ctrl+F "help"
finds that section first. In that section, I would explain:

- the pkgsrc guide is the primary source

- for individual topics there is "bmake help"

- to see variable values, there is "bmake show-all" and "bmake
show-all-dirs" and so on

- to get very technical and detailed documentation, including edge cases
you never even thought about, look at the pkglint test suite in
pkgtools/pkglint/files/*_test.go, and its source code in the same
directory. Several of the topics are explained there as well. Search for
".Explain".

Did I forget something?