Re: Emacs 26.2 RC1 for editors/emacs-snapshot

Van L <van@scratch.space> writes:

> The next GNU Emacs is available for testing.
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-03/msg00712.html
>
> What changes are needed to editors/emacs-snapshot content
> for `make update` to just work?

Hard to say.  It looks like 25.0.50 now.

Three approaches if you want to test it with pkgsrc:

1)

  Take the emacs26 package, change the version, and run make distinfo.

  Fix up any issues with the unpack dir being different from the name,
  e.g. emacs-26.2rc1.tar.gz might unpack to emacs-26.2 without the rc1
  suffix.

  Try to build, and fix anything that's necessary.

  This approach is basically what somebody updating the package would
  do, except that there is the extra step of maybe managing rc suffixes.

2)

  Take the emacs snapshot package, and update the version.  It seems to
  have both a date and a hash.  Plus major/minor/micro in a different
  file.

  Try to build and fix.  Note that this package is likely older than
  emacs26, so first understand the differences between it and emacs 26,
  and merge things from emacs26.

  Send a patch.

3)

  Look at wip/emacs-git and do some blend of 1/2.

None of these are trivial.   I expect that 26.1 to 26.2 is not a lot of
structural changes, so I would try option 1 first.