Re: epoxy?

Phil Nelson <phil%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tuesday 26 June 2018 16:05:14 you wrote:
>> Are you usin native x (which is modular), or "modular"?
>> Specifically, did you set X11_TYPE in mk.conf?
>
> Yes, it is native.  Set in mk.conf.
>
>> On a netbsd-7 system without any X11_TYPE set (and thus native), I find
>> that libepoxy is installed from pkgsrc.
>
> It appears that it is being installed in pkgsrc.
>
>> So I wonder if there is an epoxy.pc in /usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig, if
>> libepoxy is bl3'd in, and if the framework decides that the native
>> versions is good enough. It seems gtk3's configure decides that it is
>> not.
>
> There is actually an epoxy.pc in both /usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig and
> in /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig.
>
> The error in config.log is:
>
> configure:26839: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$GDK_PACKAGES $GDK_PRIVATE_PACKAGES"
> Package epoxy was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `epoxy.pc'
>
> So, is there a mk.conf that forces the use of one or the other?

It's messier than that.  There is some logic to prefer pkgsrc, but
that's unlikely the issue.   The main point is that when you bl3
something in, it decides via builtin.mk whether the native is good
enough or not, and if not depends on pkgsrc.

so the thing to do is to read the configure.ac, and see what version is
wants, and to read the two pc files to see what they are.   Then you can
read the builtin.mk and see how it decides.  A package should express a
required version, if it needs it.

the other thing that might be going on is that pkgsrc epoxy is too old
for what you need.  But you basically have to chase through the logic
and figure out which step is wrong.  make show-vars VARNAMES=foo is
helpful, for various foo found in builtin.mk.  Sorry, this isn't easy.