Re: Please help test new pkgin

* On 2018-06-11 at 15:58 BST, Matthias Ferdinand wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 11:07:34PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> >  * Packages are now refreshed if their BUILD_DATE changes, ensuring
> >    rebuilt dependencies are correctly handled.
>
> with my repositories being built by applying pkg_rolling-replace to a
> build host, this leads to many unnecessary downloads and updates.

They aren't unnecessary.  If a package has been rebuilt it was because
something changed, and it needs to be refreshed to ensure everything
is correctly in sync with what was built.

> I attached a patch to make this build date check optional ("-B" as in
> Build-Date).

Sorry but I'm not going to accept any patches to make this optional,
it is now considered a core requirement.  I've had too many user
complaints over the years where not doing these refreshes have caused
serious problems and a terrible pkgsrc user experience.

If you wish to avoid this behaviour you'll need to modify your build
environment to not rebuild packages that have not themselves been
modified.  This is possible with pbulk, I've never used pkg-rr but I
assume it has something similar.

Regards,