Re: GCC and as

On 06/07/18 15:53, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 08:12:05AM +0000, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
This took some effort to come up with, it's hard-coded for demonstration
purposes, but it allowed me to have an intentionally-broken /usr/bin/ld
(I've replaced it with a shell script to see if it worked).
This patch is seriously wrong, but the original goal is better served by
just adding an appropiate -B argument to help gcc find as/ld.

Joerg
Upon reflection, I think it's best to hard-code the as and ld paths into the gcc packages, so that their behavior won't suddenly change when pkgsrc binutils is installed or removed for independent reasons.   This is basically the current situation with the stripped-down
PATH gcc sees and the conditional configure flags to force pkgsrc binutils.

Granted, binutils is pretty stable at this point, but anything can cause unpleasant surprises if you give it the opportunity.  When I fix any problem, I try to make sure I won't have to deal with it again for a long time.  There are plenty of other issues I could be
spending that time on instead.