Re: Running bootstrap as standard user but without --unprivileged” flag?

On 1 December 2017 at 13:43, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-degen%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to run the intitial bootstrap as standard user but
>> being able to write to /usr without being root?
>>
>> In other words, I'm fine with running bootstrap as root but I'd like
>> to keep the pkgsrc directory with my own user's permission.
>>
>> Till now I can only do this by 'chown'ing the directory from root to
>> myself, but I wonder if there is a more elegant way of doing this. I
>> don't want to run pkgscr as --unpriviledged because I want my programs
>> to be accessed system wide.
>
> I'm not following your question.   As I understand it, and in my
> experience, having the pkgsrc directory owned by a non-root user is just
> fine and it doesn't cause any problems (and in fact that's the standard
> approach if you use cvs/git to keep up).
>
> Did you do a bootstrap with you owning pkgsrc, and that failed?

I did a bootstrap using sudo. I couldn't do it owning pkgsrc as I had
to write on /usr. I ended up with ~/home/pkgsrc owned by root. I then
chowned ~/home/pkgsrc to myself. I ended up with an error while
building lynx (see my other thread). I wonder if the two things are
related. I might as well run all command as sudo, but then I'd
probably better off moving pkgsrc onto /usr.

--
73 de ottavio M6OTV