Re: Running bootstrap as standard user but without --unprivileged” flag?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-degen%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> Is it possible to run the intitial bootstrap as standard user but
> being able to write to /usr without being root?
>
> In other words, I'm fine with running bootstrap as root but I'd like
> to keep the pkgsrc directory with my own user's permission.
>
> Till now I can only do this by 'chown'ing the directory from root to
> myself, but I wonder if there is a more elegant way of doing this. I
> don't want to run pkgscr as --unpriviledged because I want my programs
> to be accessed system wide.

I'm not following your question.   As I understand it, and in my
experience, having the pkgsrc directory owned by a non-root user is just
fine and it doesn't cause any problems (and in fact that's the standard
approach if you use cvs/git to keep up).

Did you do a bootstrap with you owning pkgsrc, and that failed?