Re: libassuan2

    Date:        Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:52:53 +0000
    From:        Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost>

  | On NetBSD,
  |
  |   ftp ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/libassuan/libassuan-2.4.4.tar.bz2
  |
  | fails with
  |
  |   421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed.
  |   ftp: No control connection for command

The remote ftp server looks to be "weird" - to access that URL, the NetBSD
ftp command does

	<login>		(works fine - login as anonymous)
	TYPE I
	CWD gcrypt
	PWD
	CWD libassuan
	PWD

(and then would go on to request the file.)  That second PWD hangs at the
server - there is no response.   If on the other hand it is done as ...

	<login>
	CWD gcrypt
	PWD
	CWD libassuan
	PWD
	TYPE I

(and then go on to fetch the file) it works fine.

That's bizarre...    It is also a bit strange that our ftp client has a
fetish of issuing a PWD command after every cd - particularly when fetching
a URL, that seems to perform no useful purpose - who cares what the remote
end (the server) believes the directory is called ?

(To be strictly correct, our FTP client also issues a FEAT command, immediately
after login which is not understood by the server - indicating that the server
is probably a very old implementation - but that doesn't seem to be related.)

  | If you go there say with firefox, the download succeeds, but with an
  | odd "240 welcom hacker" window?!

I don't see that with seamonkey, just a normal download "what should I do
with this file" dialog.   It is a quite old seamonkey though.

kre