2017Q3 vs openssl on Ubuntu 16.04

I'm having some issues with a compile of openssl that doesn't appear to
be producing a package properly.  As far as I can tell the compilation
and packaging goes ok, however after I've added the package, all the
pkg_* tools complain that some files are without version:

/usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info: /usr/pkg/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version
information available (required by /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info)
/usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info: /usr/pkg/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version
information available (required by /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info)

this is from a fresh bootstrapped Ubuntu 16.04 host, compiling
openssl-1.0.2knb1

Is this a known issue?  What workaround can I implement?

--
Malcolm Herbert
mjch%mjch.net@localhost