Re: qt3 removal after branch

On 10.09.2017 19:37, David Brownlee wrote:
> On 10 September 2017 at 16:23, Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Debian is working on removing qt4: https://wiki.debian.org/Qt4Removal
>>
>> So I thought it must be high time we at least remove qt3...
>
> (Not that I'm stepping up to do the work here, so feel free to take
> this with a pinch of salt).
>
> Hasn't https://www.trinitydesktop.org/ taken over support of qt3 and
> is continuing to release their fork of KDE3 plus qt3? (plus added
> "partial FreeBSD support" in their latest release -
> https://www.freebsdnews.com/2016/11/23/kde3-forked-desktop-updated-partial-freebsd-support/
> )

TDE is rotten even under Linux - and this does not seem to change into
better in future. If someone expects to maintain it, best to do it
upstream not downstream in pkgsrc.

Lately I faced bugs on newer compilers in qt4 and I wish we removed it
entirely too... as patching it is in vain.

> Its possible that it may make sense for qt4 to go away before qt3 if
> everything significant has been migrated from qt4 to qt5 and there is
> still trinity desktop plus other apps on qt3.

TDE was attempted to be ported to a newer Qt and the developers failed.
This is the only reason that they keep using qt3.

There were attempts to eliminate conflicts of kde3 with kde4 and qt3
with qt4 but it perhaps was never accomplished.

I see little reason today to keep patching kedit from kde3.