Re: Switching default python to 3.6?

Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

>> But we're only ~20 days from freeze start, and this structurally matches
>> some recent destabilizing changes.  In general I'm opposed to signficant
>> large-scale-impact changes right before freeze, such as (aside from
>> micro/security updates) upgrading perl, clang, or gtk3, or changing php
>> versions.  (I realize gtk3 and php haven't caused trouble, and the
>> fallout from the new clang was minor, but nobody expected perl to cause
>> trouble, and it really did.  I don't mean to object to progress, just to
>> separate recovery from progress from the freeze.)
>
> I would like to get upgraded clang to 5.0.0, it's going to be released
> just now or in few days. It has been already released with the latest RC
> and is busy waiting for feedback.

I really wonder if clang should be versioned in pkgsc, like gcc.
Presumably you are talking about changing the clang package, not adding
a clang5 package.

I fully expect there to be fallout from clang moving to 5 from 4.  I
remember, not very clearly, some from 3.3 to 3.4, but I could be off.
I'm not saying 5 is buggy, but it seems likely that it will catch errors
in code that weren't caught before and result in build failures.  Or
perhaps you (or Joerg?) have done a full bulk build with the new clang
vs the old clang, and know that this worry is unfounded.  Most of these
issues can probably be fixed fairly quickly, but right before freeze is
a bad time since it imposes churn on the freeze process.