Re: Switching default python to 3.6?

On 30.08.2017 23:25, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:
>
>> Currently, pkgsrc defaults to python 2.7. The newest python is 3.6.
>>
>> Locally, I've been using pkgsrc with a default of python-3.x for a
>> long time now, and I don't see any breakage because of that. Packages
>> that only support python-2.7 still install that version.
>>
>> I'd like to switch the default to 3.6. Are there any particular
>> reasons I shouldn't?
>
> I'm not really plugged in enough to python to be sure.

Can we get numbers of python2 vs python3 vs python2&3 packages first.

> But we're only ~20 days from freeze start, and this structurally matches
> some recent destabilizing changes.  In general I'm opposed to signficant
> large-scale-impact changes right before freeze, such as (aside from
> micro/security updates) upgrading perl, clang, or gtk3, or changing php
> versions.  (I realize gtk3 and php haven't caused trouble, and the
> fallout from the new clang was minor, but nobody expected perl to cause
> trouble, and it really did.  I don't mean to object to progress, just to
> separate recovery from progress from the freeze.)

I would like to get upgraded clang to 5.0.0, it's going to be released
just now or in few days. It has been already released with the latest RC
and is busy waiting for feedback.

> I don't see any compelling arguments why this needs to be now vs for Q4,
> and in particular you didn't propose it 45 days ago :-)

Some projects like qemu start to receive Python3 patches just now...

I would wait a year or so as a lot of users might end up with two
pythons installed concurrently, instead of a single one. When I build
desktop stack, Py3 is mandated by just few packages..