Re: Upgrading Radicale

On 06/30/17 20:17, Greg Troxel wrote:
D'Arcy Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
Is there any point in renaming the current version as Radicale1 and
creating a new Radicale?

Generally, we have multiple versions only when expecting someone to
upgrade when the pkgsrc versions is updated is unreasonable, and this is
usually a sign of either not having source/binary compatibility leading
to users needing to use one or the other depending (most) or complicated
on-disk formats (postgresql, probably mysql).

I just noticed that there are definite incompatibilities between 1.x.x and 2.x.x so I better keep both. I think I will just rename the old one and create an Radicale2 for 2.x.x. I may need to bump 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 as that is needed to migrate to 2.x.x.

There is also the example of things like jabber where the new versino is jabber2 but the old one is un-versioned. That would be less of a surprise to people who have the old one installed.

And, if it's a dependency rather than an end package, try to make them
parallel-installable, so two programs that need each can work at the
same time.  guileN does this (but it's extra work).

I believe that it is an end package only. I will make them mutually incompatible.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost