Re: pkgsrc using git on github

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 05:25:26AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > > https://github.com/jsonn/pkgsrc [1]
> > > https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc [2]
> > https://github.com/jrmarino/pkgsrc-synth [3]

> Wonder whether first letter "j" is mandated to mirros pkgsrc ;-)

> I do not see much difference between [1] and [2], but [3] looks slightly
> different. It's "modified" to suit FreeBSD probably whereas the first two
> are merely a mirror (but I could be wrong).

> I have used [1] on Debian and besides check out process did not find any
> difference.

> But question may be authenticity. [Sorry, I appreciate the work of people
> who have set these up. But in today's world we have to ask this question.]

> Also, if the pkgsrc-wip experience is any indicator, most people seem to
> be comfortable to switchover to git. [I for one, was one of the nay sayers
> on the list when the change was proposed, but am quite comfortable with it
> now.]

> Probably time to debate whether pkgsrc should officially adopt git.

> Alternatively endorse one or more of the above links as "official" :-).

> Mayuresh.

I believe pkgsrc-synth [3] was John Marino's port of synth, along with pkg (pkgng) to NetBSD.

I am getting ready to try it, at least on NetBSD-current amd64, and if my i386 installation messes up too much trying to update packages and I have to start over, then I would look toward pkg and synth there as well.

FreeBSD updated doc, src and ports trees with csup or cvsup until a security breach in July (?) 2012 prompted a switch to subversion.

So there might be a security issue with cvs.

I notice a delay at the beginning and end of a cvs update, less with subversion, and still less with git.

Advantage of cvs is being in the base system, but a user may be able to get started by downloading a zip file or tarball.

Tom