Binary packages for scientific research on RHEL/CentOS

Binary packages aimed at research computing and HPC are now available for RHEL/CentOS 6 and 7:

    http://uwm.edu/hpc/software-management/

These are more or less static package sets with a different prefix for each quarterly build, e.g. /sharedapps/pkg-2017Q1. This layout allows researchers to use the same package versions for the duration of long-term studies (this is critical in many research projects) while newer packages can be deployed alongside them on the same system.

I also posted instructions for our pbulk setup, which uses a pristine OS installation image in a chroot env. Many thanks to everyone who offered advice as I was experimenting with pbulk.

I'm hoping the availability of these packages will spur a new level of interest in pkgsrc within the research computing community. I know for a fact that pkgsrc has enormous potential here, as I've watched many researchers struggle with software installations for the past 17 years, especially on enterprise Linux, which has a virtual monopoly in HPC.

With this infrastructure in place, the work of creating many new scientific packages will now become our primary focus.

Comments and contributions are always welcome!

Regards,

    Jason

--
Earth is a beta site.