Re: Audio output from firefox

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017, manlyphall%manlymail.net@localhost wrote:

Sometime recently (in early- to mid-February timeframe), firefox has stopped
producing any audio output.  Other audio players (such as
multimedia/gmplayer) work fine, so I don't think it is a problem with the
kernel or device driver.

FWIW, I'm currently using an amd64-7.99.59 kernel (from February 15), with
firefox-52.0, but I'm pretty sure the problem also existed with
firefox-51.0.1

+------------------+--------------------------+------------------------+
| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |
+------------------+--------------------------+------------------------+

Have you installed pulseaudio? I have worked around pulseaudio before
and had audio with Firefox. I've had to do something similar with
Seamonkey. I can't remember which one needed me to create a custom flag.
But the flag implemented to build without pulseaudio, in the one, was
the exact way I implemented it in the other.

I have pulseaudio-10.0nb2 installed.

If you are installing from a precomiled package, then you will have to
ensure that pulseaudio is configured correctly. This is because the
default build is dependent on pulseaudio for audio.

All of my packages are built from sources.  And firefox is built with

	PKG_OPTIONS=alsa dbus gtk3 pulseaudio

If you are using a mixer of some kind, you need to make sure that it is
addressing pulseaudio for volume adjustments and mute. Sometimes channel
configurations create issues too. I think pulseaudio would adjust the OS
audio system volume, but it might be good not to count on that. Meaning
that you should make sure the OS audio volume and the pulseaudio volume
are both not muted and increased to an audible level.

I have no clue about how to manipulate the audio/mixer stuff. It used to "just work" (TM) without any manual steps required.