Firefox + alsa + oss problem

I wrote:
(in http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2017/01/08/msg024230.html )

> > Sound (e.g, youtube videos) doesn't work for me either anymore with the
> > new default package options "alsa dbus":
> >
> >  alsa_stream_destroy: pthread_cond_destroy failed: Invalid argument
> >
> > I also tried with pulseaudio and that didn't work either, but I didn't
> > see any error messages.
>
> pkgsrc firefox (default ALSA option) + alsa-plugins-oss doesn't work here,
> but pkgsrc firefox (default ALSA option) + alsa-plugins-pulse works for me

I'd like to share information I investigated today.

- firefox uses "FLOAT32NE" (native endian) for sound format
 - ryoon@ says firefox config to use int16_t format doesn't work well

- alsa-plugins-oss doesn't support FLOAT32 format
 - I'm not sure if NetBSD's oss itself supports float format though

- pulseaudio seems to support FLOAT32 format so alsa-plugins-pulse works
  with firefox + alsa

- cubeb_oss.c (enabled by "oss" option in pkgsrc/www/firefox)
  converts FLOAT32 format to S16 format so it also works

> The error message from firefox
> "alsa_stream_destroy: pthread_cond_destroy failed: Invalid argument"
> seems to come from pkgsrc patch:

This is fixed by martin@
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2017/02/06/msg152569.html
and it was actually trigged by failure of snd_pcm_set_params() with
SND_PCM_FORMAT_FLOAT_LE.

One dumb idea is to put FLOAT_NE -> S16_NE conversion into alsa-plugins-oss,
but I'm not sure it's likely or not.
(pulseaudio implementation for oss output might help?)

---
Izumi Tsutsui